Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Bachelor Livin' 101

Some of my single guy friends eat some whack food. When I go over and see their freezers crammed full of hotpockets, microwave burritos and pizza it makes me crazy. It offends me in some deep way that I know is unwarranted but I can't help myself. I want to shake them by their transfat laden shoulders and say, "man, you do not have to eat this way!" This recipe is nothing fancy but it's simple, satisfying and even my kitchen-challenged amigos could make it. It's sort of a staple for me. Make it once and you'll be having it for the rest of your life.

pasta with broccoli sauce

Ingredients:
thin linguini or spaghetti
a big head of broccoli
3-4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
salt
crushed red pepper (saved from your last pizza delivery)
parmesan cheese

Get your pasta water boiling in a big pot with a huge pinch of salt. Cut your broccoli into florets. Shave those stems and chop them up. They have a lot of flavor we like to use. Sautee 3 cloves of garlic with a pinch of red pepper and some salt  in 1/2 a cup of olive oil in a saucepan until the garlic starts looking golden. Take the saucepan off the burner and add 3 cups of water. Drop your pasta in your separate pasta pot.  Return the oil + water saucepan to burner and bring back to a boil. Let this bubble for a minute then add your broccoli. Cook over medium low heat until the broccoli is done to your liking. Re-season with more salt & red pepper to taste. Add the broccoli and sauce to your drained pasta. If your broccoli sauce isn't juicy enough, add some pasta water to it before you dump it. Load on the parmesan cheese. And voila, dinner is served! 

No comments: